The Government is providing two separate $750 payments to social security, veteran and other income support recipients and eligible concession card holders. Around half of those that benefit are pensioners.
- The first payment will be available to people who are eligible payment recipients and concession card holders during the period of 12 March 2020 to 13 April 2020 inclusive. This will be paid from 31 March 2020.
- The second payment will be available to people who are eligible payment recipients and concession card holders on 10 July 2020. This will be paid from 13 July 2020.
A person can be eligible to receive both a first and second support payment. However, they can only receive one $750 payment in each round of payments, even if they qualify in each round of the payments in multiple ways.
The payment will be exempt from taxation and will not count as income for the purposes of Social Security, Farm Household Allowance and Veteran payments.
To be eligible for the first payment, you must be residing in Australia and be receiving one of the following payments, or hold one of the following concession cards, at any time from 12 March 2020 to 13 April 2020, inclusive:
- Age Pension
- Disability Support Pension
- Carer Payment
- Parenting Payment
- Wife Pension
- Widow B Pension
- ABSTUDY (Living Allowance)
- Bereavement Allowance
- Newstart Allowance
- JobSeeker Payment
- Youth Allowance
- Partner Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Special Benefit
- Widow Allowance
- Family Tax Benefit, including Double Orphan Pension
- Carer Allowance
- Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) holders
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders
- Veteran Service Pension; Veteran Income Support Supplement; Veteran Compensation payments, including lump sum payments; War Widow(er) Pension; and Veteran Payment.
- DVA PCC holders; DVA Education Scheme recipients; Disability Pensioners at the temporary special rate; DVA Income support pensioners at $0 rate.
- Veteran Gold Card holders
- Farm Household Allowance
Where someone has lodged a claim for one of the eligible payments or concession cards at any time from 12 March to 13 April 2020 inclusive, and the claim is subsequently granted, they will also receive the payment.
To be eligible for the second payment, you must be residing in Australia and be receiving one of the payments or holding one of the concession cards that were eligible for the first payment, except for those who are receiving an income support payment that is eligible to receive the Coronavirus supplement. So, if you are receiving the Coronavirus Supplement at the time of the second payment being made in July 2020, you will not be receiving the second payment of $750.
The information in this document is for general information only. This is Shoebox Tax’s interpretation of the law as recently
passed in the Australian Parliament. This may or may not align with the views of the ATO. Until our understanding has been
confirmed by the ATO this remains Shoebox Tax’s interpretation only.
This should not be taken as constituting profession advice from Shoebox Tax. You should access other advice to check how the
law relates to your unique circumstances. This information is offered in good faith and Shoebox Tax is not liable for any loss
caused, whether due to negligence or otherwise arising from the use of, or reliance on, the information provided directly or
indirectly , in this document.